Pines people- Robin Byrd
Robin Byrd (born April 6 1957, in New York) is an American former porn actress and the host of ‘THE ROBIN BYRD SHOW’, which has appeared on commercial use cable television in New York City for over 30 years.
Byrd was adopted and raised in New York City. She has been searching but has never been able to identify her birth parents, due to the unwillingness of her adoptive mother to reveal that information and sealed birth and adoption records under New York State law.
At the time of filming the porn classic, ‘Debbie Does Dallas’ Byrd was living in New York. After taking some college classes in marketing and advertising at Baruch College City University of NY, she attended The School of Visual Arts and worked as a nude model for art classes. Her adult entertainment career was launched when she was a finalist in the ‘Ms All Bare America’ contest and subsequently starred in porn films during the late 70’s and early 80’s; including a role in the above-mentioned ‘Debbie Does Dallas’.
ROBIN ON THE ‘HOT LEGS” SHOW IN 1979
After guest-hosting on a leased access cable show called ‘Hot Legs’, she changed the name to ‘THE ROBIN BYRD SHOW’ in 1979. The show has aired continuously since. Each episode features Byrd in her trademark black crochet bikini and white fingernail polish, on an all-red set with a large, heart-shaped neon sign that bears the name of her show. Male and female porn stars and strippers appear as guests and perform fully nude stripteases, sometimes also taking calls from viewers. Byrd and her guests also frequently engage in on screen play by the end of the episode. Celebrities from outside the adult entertainment industry such as Sandra Bernhard, Mark Kostabi, Michael Musto, among others have also been guests on her show.
– In 1988, Byrd in Bodybuilding competition form broadcast live a Health, Nutrition, and exercise show called ‘Modern Women’.
– In 1990 Robin Byrd had the talked about shower scene in Sandra Bernhard’s movie ‘Without you I’m nothing’.
– In 1993 Byrd had a minor part in a Disney film with Michael J. Fox titled ‘Life with Mikey’.
– In 1999, Richard Avedon photographed Byrd for a feature in ‘The New Yorker’ on famous and influential New Yorkers.
Having Fire Island in her life since the early 70’s Robin Byrd’s F.I. Journey started in the community of Robins Rest. The host of the Robin Byrd Show was busy producing, directing, writing, and hosting her show. She was used to doing things for herself having run away at 13, Robin wanted to fly. She lied about her age and immediately started working. Passing the GED test, she put herself through Baruch College receiving a degree in Fine Arts. Not restful in Robins Rest she went about exploring other F.I. communities until she found Cherry Grove and the Pines.
In the 90’s Robin Byrd ( here with John Whyte) found her nest here in the Pines. Since then she is always involved in the Pines community as well as Cherry Grove. Whether it’s a dog show, AIDS benefit, Miss F.I. contest, or a FIPPOA meeting she passionately involved. You know your home when you have a Robin sighting.
– In 2000, Byrd was a featured performer in the long running Off-Broadway production of (Shakespeare’s-Mid Summers Night Dream) called ‘The Donkey Show’ produced by Jordan Roth.
– Also, in 2000, BMG released a CD called ‘Lie Back And Get Comfortable – Robin Byrd presents Latin love songs to make love to’.
– Robin hosted several events during Gay Pride Week 2003 in New York. One was a frank discussion titled “Sex in the City” that featured a panel of academics, activists and physicians who explored the meaning LGBT sexual culture and health in New York today. – In 2003, Marc Juris, formerly of Fuse TV famously plastered Robin Byrd on New York City’s bus fleet as part of its re-branding.
– In 2005, Robin Byrd performed & hosted the absurd weekly ‘Speedo Bulge’ contests at the ‘Fire Island Pines Pavilion’.
– Byrd’s show, filmography, and personal appearances have made her a local celebrity and to some extent, a national and international one. She is a frequent presenter of adult entertainment, Gay pride, Aids awareness and animal rights events. She also appeared on VH-1 in the ‘ I Love Series ‘ and on MTV’s’ New Year’s Eve Top 100 Countdown’.
– The Robin Byrd show was parodied on Saturday Night Live’ in a series of skits airing in 1997 and 1998. Byrd herself was played by Cheri Oteri.
– In 2012 Robin Byrd returned to the Stage with the weekly hilarious high-spirited bawdy ‘Robin Byrd Show-Live’ variety show @ The Cutting Room 44 East 32 Street,/Park Ave. Fun & Fantasy is back in NYC.
– In 2013, Robin Byrd opened the newly re-built legendary Fire Island Pines nightclub,’The Pavilion’ with the humoresque Robin Byrd Presents ‘Boy’ Burlesque.
– As of 2014, ‘THE ROBIN BYRD SHOW’ continues to be aired seven nights a week, unscrambled, and uncut.
– In 2014, Robin was back at The Fire Island Pines ‘ Pavillion ‘ as the weekly host for ‘HIGH TEA’EVERY SAT and SUN. from 6-10.
– In 2014/2015 Robin hosts & performs at the monthly Disco Tea Dance party at ‘The Monster’ in Greenwich Village, N.Y.C.
– In 2014, Robin introduced her Dance song ‘Touch Me’. A collaboration with talented Record producer, songwriter, ; Lovari-Lovari.
Robin remains a Pines personality and connects to all generations …