1952. And so it begins…
The Home Guardian Company with Edward Olson as their sales person were developing their promotional materials to help sell the new Fire Island Pines community, gearing it as a summer getaway for the family.
In the early 50’s the Home Guardian Company of New York started developing Lone Hill. The Harbor basin is carefully planned by a study of the tides. For the cost of $130,000 it is dredged out of an existing mosquito ditch. It is the plan for it to be a boating community with 76-78 berths.
In 1953 the bulk heading of the Harbor is completed.
Home Guardian Company applies to Brookhaven Town for their certificate of occupancy for their real estate office.
Home Guardian sets up their real estate office for Lone Hill now known as Fire Island Pines. It is here that you arrive by ferry to be taken by car to your lot for sale.
Being advertised as a family community, it brought people from all over Long Island and New York. Realtor Arden Catlin poses with the infamous sign.
The building of the walks begins in 1953. The walks are the road map for the community.
The former Lifesaving Station is part of the land and will be part of the harbor sale agreement with FIPPOA ( Fire Island Pines Property Association).
People from as far as New York to local Long Island were hearing about the new community called Fire Island Pines.
A General store, community club house and hotel were also part of the plan. They too were encouraged to build quickly in order to present a community atmosphere.
The General Store named Ship n Shore was owned by Warren Christopher, Vincent Fair, and William Styker. Clarence LaFountaine opened a plumbing supply and gas service.
Peggy Fears, a Broadway Showgirl, had discovered Lone Hill on an outing to a neighboring Fire Island community. She decides to invest and also encourages others in the show business community to do likewise. She builds The Pines Yacht Club, and Botel complex. See her story here: http://www.pineshistory.org/art/the-peggy-fears-story-part-1/